VET Student Loans
SEDA Group is an approved provider of VET Student Loans and therefore can offer the Commonwealth VET Student Loans scheme to eligible students through to 31st December 2021. Student enrolled in the SIS50612 Diploma of Sport Development can access VET Student Loans to pay their tuition fees provided they meet the eligibility requirements.
- The loan will remain as a personal debt obligation until it is repaid to the Commonwealth;
- The loan may affect (by reducing) the person’s take-home (after tax) wage or salary until the debt is repaid, and may affect the borrowing capacity of the person until the debt is repaid to the Commonwealth;
- A VET Student Loan gives rise to a HELP debt that continues to be debt due to the Commonwealth until it is repaid;
- The completed Request for VET Student Loan eCAF (Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form) applies to a loan for the entire VET course of study, charged on a vet unit of study basis, unless the student pays some of the tuition fees; the eCAF must be submitted on or before the census date
- Census dates will apply to each VET unit/s of study in which the person enrols, with tuition fees due immediately census date;
- A student may cancel their enrolment by:
- Withdrawing from each VET unit of study on or before the census date; and
- In accordance with SEDA Group’s withdrawal processes
- Withdrawal will result in the student not incurring a VET Student Loan debt; and / or receiving a refund for any up-front tuition fee payments made on or before the census dates;
- A student may wish to seek independent financial advice prior to applying for a VET Student Loan;
- The student may be required during the course to communicate his or her agreement that the Commonwealth continue to use the VET student loan to pay tuition fees for the course.
- The department will contact the student to verify the student’s enrolment in the course
In 2018, the VET Student Loan FEE HELP limit is $102,392 for most students. For 2019, the new combined HELP loan limit will be $104,440 for most students.
Please refer to your Course Information Brochure and Statement of Fees for specific tuition fees and census dates; including the student withdrawal policy for this course or refer to the SEDA Group website.
In 2018 the maximum VET Student Loan amount for the SIS50612 Diploma of Sport Development is $10,150 (covered fee); in 2019 the maximum VET student loan amount $10,342 (covered fee). The amount of the VET student loan with SEDA Group cannot be more than the student’s remaining FEE-HELP balance. Tuition Fees will be reasonably apportioned across a specified number of sequential fee periods and each fee period will contain at least one census day. For any tuition fees above the covered fees, students are required to pay this portion upfront in accordance with the vet unit of study census dates.
Are an Australian citizen, or;
- Are a New Zealand Special Category Visa holder who meets long-term residency requirements; or;
- Are a permanent humanitarian visa holder (resident in Australia for the duration of the unit); AND
- Have not exceeded the FEE HELP limit (see below); AND
- Meet course requirements as follows:
- You’re are enrolled with an approved course provider in an approved course
- Successfully completed Year 12 in Australia; OR
- Successful completion of an Australian Qualifications Framework Certificate IV or higher qualification (where the language of
instruction is English); OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved
Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. SEDA Group can provide this testing.
- Successfully competed SEDA Groups Course Application Form
Have a Unique Student Identifier (USI), or otherwise exempt
Have read the 2017 VET Student Loans information booklet – https://docs.education.gov.au/node/42391
You meet the Tax File Number (TFN) requirements (If your information is not assessed as correct by the ATO, your application will not be finalised and you will be ineligible for a VET Student Loan
You have given the required documents to your approved course provider and submitted the loan application form by the first census date and no less than two business days after enrolling
In addition, your approved course provider must reasonably believe you show competence in completing the course
Your eligibility will be assessed as part of the Course Application Form. Eligibility evidence and supporting documents must be presented to SEDA Group with your application. A VET Student Loan will not be approved by SEDA Group for any students who do not meet eligibility requirements.
Repayment income is calculated from the amounts given on your income tax return for:
- your taxable income;
- reportable fringe benefits (reported on your payment summary);
- total net investment loss (which includes net rental loss);
- reportable super contributions; and
- exempt foreign employment income amounts.
Repayments made through the Australian taxation system are called compulsory repayments and continue until you have repaid your whole debt.
department your enrolment information, including the nearest applicable census day, through the electronic Commonwealth
Assistance Form (eCAF) system.
Group on email@example.com and communicate you wish to opt in to VET Student Loans.
verify the pre-populated information and complete the mandatory fields. You can then submit the eCAF, which will cause the system
to email you a copy of your completed form. You should keep this form for your records.
part of your course / vet unit of study for the VET Student Loan to be applicable. Retrospective access to VET Student Loans is not
allowed under any circumstances.
access to the Request for VET Student Loan ECAF to apply for VET Student Loans.
also issue you with your VET Student Loan Fee Notice for the unit/s of study you are enrolled in for that fee period. This will be sent
to your nominated personal email or postal address at least 14 days before the census day. The invoice will detail a range of information including:
how much will be covered by the loan amount.
within 28 days of the relevant census date. The Commonwealth Assistance Notice is a statement, not an invoice or a request for
payment and includes important information about your enrolment. This will confirm your debt you have incurred or student
contribution amounts you have paid, and any loan fee you may have incurred.
have 14 days from the date of the CAN to contact SEDA Group with a request for correction.
You will not be able to obtain a VET Student Loan for the amount of your VET tuition fees for the unit/s of study that remain unpaid by the census date, unless you submit your valid TFN.
Note: TFNs are usually provided by the ATO within 28 days of application, therefore it is essential that you apply for your TFN as early as possible to ensure you have your TFN on or before the census date.
Please be aware that if the tax file number requirements are not met you will NOT be entitled to VET Student loan and will be liable for your tuition fees.
How to apply for a Tax File Number
Australian Taxation Office:
Applicants should refer to the Australian Taxation Office website: https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/TFN—application-for-individuals/
Australia Post – Australian residents – TFN application:
You can apply for a TFN at a participating Australia Post retail outlet if you’re an Australian resident and able to attend an interview. There is no fee for lodging a TFN application. If you’re an Australian resident the easiest way to apply for a TFN is to complete the online TFN Application form by accessing this link http://bit.ly/1edlGm0
Print the summary, which will include your application reference number, and take it to your Australia Post interview. Attend an interview at a participating Australia Post outlet within 30 days of completing your online form. You’ll need to take your printed summary and proof of identity documents to the interview. This link http://bit.ly/1WW3HUY will direct you to the Australia Post website where you can find your closest participating Australia Post store, trading hours and book your TFN application interview.
|2016-2017 Repayment Threshold||Repayment % Rate|
|$54,869 – $61,119||4.0%|
|$61,120 – $67,368||4.5%|
|$67,369 – $70,909||5.0%|
|$70,910 – $76,222||5.5%|
|$76,223 – $82,550||6.0%|
|$82,551 – $86,894||6.5%|
|$86,895 – $95,626||7.0%|
|$95,627 – $101,899||7.5%|
|$101,900 and above||8.0%|
|2017-2018 Repayment Threshold||Repayment % Rate|
|$55,874 – $62,238||4.0%|
|$62,239 – $68,602||4.5%|
|$68,603 – $72,207||5.0%|
|$72,208 – $77,618||5.5%|
|$77,619 – $84,062||6.0%|
|$84,063 – $88,486||6.5%|
|$88,487 – $97,377||7.0%|
|$97,378 – $103,765||7.5%|
|$103,766 and above||8.0%|
|2018-2019 Repayment Threshold||Repayment % Rate|
|$51,957 – $57,729||2.0%|
|$57,730 – $64,306||4.0%|
|$64,307 – $70,881||4.5%|
|$70,882 – $74,607||5.0%|
|$74,608 – $80,197||5.5%|
|$80,198 – $86,855||6.0%|
|$86,856 – $91,425||6.5%|
|$91,426 – $100,613||7.0%|
|$100,614 – $107,213||7.5%|
|$107,214 and above||8.0%|
VET Student Loans Policies and Procedures:
Where can I find more information about VET Student Loans?
The following information is important for individuals enrolling in vocational education and training (VET) and wish to access a VET Student Loan: